Monday, June 22, 2015

60 Days and Counting

“It will come sometime. Some beautiful morning she will just wake up and find it is Tomorrow. Not Today but Tomorrow. And then things will happen ... wonderful things.” 



"Dear Bride to be,
You hear a lot of lies and negativity in your own head and even from the lips of others (you are the center of attention, your wedding won't be very 'nice', your dress isn't right, the day won't be perfect unless everything goes according to plan, you only get married once so make it perfect...) and on and on. Here are some truths for you: it is God's performance, not yours. He did all the arranging so far, rest in Him! Weddings are special, but your man is more special! Look for ways to bless him and please him more than yourself. Don't compare. The seed of eternal discontentment is forever found in comparing. Don't compare dresses, budgets, or venues - you will never be happy. Instead, relax and have fun. This time is short and precious - enjoy it! Don't worry about what other people think, don't stress about matching or coordinating colors, embrace the uniqueness. Don't forget all the ways that God has provided through dear friends and family. They are praying for and supporting you and that is the best gift of all. Study the secret of being content - it starts at the roots. Be wide-eyed and sentimental but don't hold too tightly to plans or "ideals". The simple yet profound goals are to glorify God and get married, everything else is extra, not priority. Take it all in and work hard, but don't set your heart on silly desires or let your eyes glaze over with envy. It isn't about you... truly it isn't. It is about God and His marvelous gifts."





A blog post wasn't exactly on my "to do" list today, but I needed a break so what better way to do it? I've been struggling to journal and blog like I used to, as cliche as it sounds, I simply don't have time to sit down and write, but I wish I did. I look back on the last 200+ days in awe at how fast they have truly f l o w n by. Everyone told me it would go fast, but I didn't expect it to be going this fast! Our "longest chain on earth" is already quite short and in just sixty days our whole lives will change. I've been getting increasingly more sappy and busy with each passing day, but I am trying to treasure up in my heart all the wonderful blessings and joys of this special time.

A few weeks ago I did take some time to write a letter to myself because sometimes you just need to preach to your own face for a while until truths become more true than the lies in your head... or at least I do! I wrote it like I would write to Samantha if she was getting married. At first it made me laugh, but re-reading that letter has given me much needed perspective on several occasions. It is astounding how quickly my heart turns to my own desires and my own plans and dreams... it is astounding how selfish of a human I can be. And yet, what is even more astounding, is that through it all God's grace abounds more and more than I could ever deserve. So many people have come along side of us to helps us in every way possible that it truly floors me. 'Tomorrow' is coming; I will wake up one of these days and it will be Tomorrow. For now, I need to learn the secret of being content with each day of work, each day of planning, and each day that God's mercy and grace is new in the morning.

{For more consistent updates of my wonderfully sappy, random, and odd life, feel free to follow me on Instagram @imemilyjane. Word of caution: I'm not kidding when I say it is sappy. I'm a softy for anything romantic, whimsical, or sentimental and I like to capture as much as possible in a snap.)

No comments:

Post a Comment